Sunday 5 December 2010

Accessorise your food

This blog is about bringing fun into life as much as possible. Exploring the ways you can do this is. In itself. Part of the fun and part of the journey.


I found a whole new way of making food fun when I watched a bunch of cooking shows and realised that a meal is often a key ingredient or two dressed up with a bunch of accessories.


A roast. For example. Centres around the meat and 'tatoes for me. The rest of the veg being accessories that I vary according to what I've got available, how much time I've got and what I fancy. Gravy is expected of course but how it's made is also up to me.


Viewing things this way is fun cos it makes it easy to keep things fresh. I've taken it further this morning though because somethings that would have made sense on their own can work together and be even more special.


It's the weekend so I didn't want the same brekkie that I have during the week but I couldn't figure out what to have. I spied a bit of cake but it's just some standard cherry cake. Didn't seem very special. Then I remembered some ice cream I've got in the fridge. I pictured the ice cream in a bowl surrounded by slices of cake with crushed nuts and oats sprinkle over. Suddenly my mouth was watering and I knew i'd hit the jackpot.


I know it doesn't sound very brekkie like but I've pushed my food boundaries a lot over the years and this is why. I get to have more fun. More often. You'd think it's unhealthy and of course it's not exactly what the doctor ordered. I did sprinkle over so standard brekkie stuff like nuts and oats to add some crunch but to be honest I eat pretty well on average so I can afford to indulge myself every so often.


So, brekkie was a delight. I may never have. That exact combination of ingredients which in itself makes it special. But combining the individual items built a dish where the whole was better than the individual parts.

No comments:

Post a Comment